Gym options for parents

If you like to exercise, where is your favorite place to workout?

When we first moved here, living in a hotel for 3 months and my hubby was working non-stop, I was desperate to find a gym that had excellent childcare so I could find sanity through exercise and know my children were safe and happy. This turned into a big challenge as the base gyms did not provide childcare (like I was used to at my old gyms like the YMCA!). I tried 24 Hour Fitness, didn't love the drive or the childcare, then tried UFC gym, same. I finally resolved to exercise at 4am at the Hickam Gym across from our hotel before my husband left for work. Had I known about this "family fitness center", I may have tried this option.  Have you been a member of any local gym that you love? Have you had a good experience with 24 Hour Fitness or the UFC gyms?  Have you tried the Kalihi YMCA?

My kids and I started going to the Family Fitness Center (by the gymnastics building on Pearl) when my kids were doing gymnastics there. It's a decent option if you need something, there are 2 areas for kids, one for bigger kids, one for younger. The kids can see you exercising but they're behind a half door. There are some toys but you can also bring your own. I've often brought our gently used toys here to donate!

Another good option that I might explore more this summer, when my husband will be working a lot and I'll be looking for a gym with childcare, is the PowerHouse Gym in a shopping plaza across the street from the Pearlridge Mall off of Hwy 99 in Aeia.  My friend Sheila uses this gym often with her husband and she takes her 3 kiddos to the childcare room and had positive reviews of the childcare there. If you're interested in checking it out please message me at irishdrums@aol.com or through fb and I'll connect you to Sheila, as a member she can get you a couple free days to try it out, or a free week!

Another friend loves the Crossfit Gym in Honolulu. I have not checked that one out yet, they do not offer childcare, does anyone have any experience with that one?

When my kids are in school I prefer to do beachbody workouts through the app on my phone in my living room with free weights!  It's air conditioned, right at home and I can get it started and done whenever it's convenient for my schedule, best yet, it costs $99 for the year to use the programs (HIIT workouts, yoga, piyo, etc...) much less than the cost of a gym!

Any more thoughts on the gym and workout situation for parents or single folks? Does Schofield, Shafter, or Wheeler have good gym options?


<script data-ad-client="ca-pub-3155612495653989" async src="https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wet n Wild in Kapolei!

Pu'u Ohulehule hike! (AKA pride rock)

Secret Island -- Gorgeous spot looking at Kualoa Ranch